Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Election Coverage

I'll be honest that I'm not much of a political junkie. I like to be informed about what's happening in Washington D.C. and how my elected politicians are serving their constituency, but talk about the election does not light me up and get me talking like it does for many of my peers. 

I plan to vote on November 4 and will make sure I am informed so I can perform my civic duty, but my interest in the media and their coverage of the election ends there. 

That being said, it is still important for me to know what's going on in the election and how this directly affects me as a vote. For this information, I tend to go online. When I'm busy during the day, it's easier to log onto the Internet and read about the latest slip up either of the two candidates may or may not have had. 

For this news, I often turn to newspaper such as the New York Times or L.A. Times. But I also will frequent political blogs such as the Drudge Report of Politico

Yet when the candidates are giving speeches or participating in debates, this is when I turn to television. I would rather watch these aspects of the election live than read commentary about them online. Further, many of the news networks provide in-depth analysis and commentary at the end of the debates, which I find helpful in understanding the broader implications of what was said. 

Print journalism stories tend to be more focused on reflections on the campaign and a place to turn to understand those implications I mentioned above. But for the most up to date information, the Internet is the place to go. 

Each medium serves a different function in helping bring the election into people's homes and making them more informed about their candidates. As long as one of these mediums strikes a chord with a voter and helps make them prepared to go to the polls next Tuesday, then I believe the media have done their job. 

No comments: